Monday, January 25, 2010

The Weekend...

Wow... It was a busy weekend... Where to start? Guess we'll go with Friday... since it was, ya know, the start of the weekend and all...

Spent some one-on-one time with Star Trek: Online. After the big patch, I have to say that things got a ton better... when I was actually able to get on and stay on. There were a ton of "Emergency Maintenance" events this weekend. I'd say its great to get it out of the way before they go live... I just hope that's what this is. Unlike everyone else, I don't have an irrational hatred for Cryptic. For me, the Champions Online launch went without a hitch. I understand that a lot of people had issues; I didn't. But like I said... for me the game was fine.

Saturday was more of the same. I spent the majority of the day just relaxing with Tiffany and the dogs, playing ST:O. Tiff and I had a pretty good day, for the most part... The dogs are driving us insane, but that's a whole other story... Saturday night was fun... One of my best buds came back into town for the weekend. Met up at The Pub up at Polaris for some beers. At least that was the plan. After being diagnosed with a 3 hour wait, we decided to take our business elsewhere... We wound up at Hooters over on Sancus. Mike, William (the Red), Rory, Joe, and the Mironiks all sat down and enjoyed some food, conversation, and a beer or two. It was a good time and the Red and I agreed to find time to hang out some time. Dude's friggin' hilarious. At the end of the night, all agreed it was a good night and we left without a hitch.

Sunday was laundry day and you know how that goes so I'm not going to get into it. Spent a little more time with ST:O. I'll post my mini-review of that here in just a bit. Sat down and re-watched Tropic Thunder and Minority Report this weekend. Both are good movies. Despite Tom Cruise... Although I have to say, Cruise's character in TT is one of the funniest I've ever seen him do. It was a credit to the fact that, when the situation calls for it, Cruise can be a great actor.

Last thing I want to address is the NFL. For me, the Colts making the Superbowl was a foregone conclusion. I was excited to see my point of view vindicated. Still not happy about not being 18-0 right now, but that's another story. The game this weekend that held the most excitement was the one that was the most exciting. Purple and Gold versus the Black and Gold. Vikes and Saints. On one hand, I love New Orleans. I'm going to be moving there this summer. Louisiana and all it's great food, people, and history are all the things I want to be around. On the other hand, even with all the shit, I love Brett Favre. I want to see the guy succeed. By kickoff, I'd made my decision as to who I was going to root for; The Saints. The Crescent City has earned my support. So I threw it behind them 100%.

In the end, after behind tied 14-14 at halftime and 28-28 at the end of regulation, the Saints marched down field after a Brett Favre interception and kicked a 40yd field goal to win the game, 31-28. As soon as the ball left the ground, the crowd was up, roaring. It was obvious, after the ball cleared the flagging hands of a Viking defender, that it had both the distance and accuracy; he could have kicked that ball from the 50yd line and still had enough to put it through. And dead down the middle. Clutch if there ever was. Afterwards, on Bourbon St, the good times did indeed roll... So in 2 weeks, on February 7, the 2 best teams in the NFL's regular season square off for what should be the best Superbowl in years. The Colts striding in like they deserve it and the Saints streaking in like they own it. Got to be a better game than the last time the Colts were here, right?

No comments: